05 April 2008

Sports 05 apr 08: NASCAR crash

Yesterday, NASCAR showed something to think about. If you ever wondered if worths investing millions of $ in research of vehicles, engines and technology, now you have a heavy argument: what you don't see in Hollywood movies, you can see in real life.

"FORT WORTH, Texas - Michael McDowell was the poster child for NASCAR crash test dummies at Texas Motor Speedway on Friday.

After the No. 38 Ford dumped oil around the track during time trials, McDowell attempted his qualifying lap three drivers later, skidded through the speedy dry and barrel-rolled out of Turn 2 after overcorrecting his No. 00 Michael Waltrip Racing Camry.

McDowell, 23, who made his debut last week at Martinsville, tested the Car of Tomorrow in ways that could never be simulated in the lab.

"I came off of (Turn 4) on that first lap and felt a little bit off, that something wasn't quite right," McDowell said. "I went down into one and I don't know if it was the oil dry or if something happened. I hate to make that much work for the guys back at the shop. Fortunately, I'm OK, thank God. I got to see that replay and it wasn't good, but for everyone back at the shop that spends time putting these seats in and making these cars safe — that's one of the worst wrecks I've seen in a while. I'm not excited that I had to participate in it. We'll pull the back-up out and we'll get in race trim tomorrow and be fine.

"I feel great. Nothing broke. I didn't pass out. I didn't lose anything out there. I just wish I didn't overcorrect there. We'll have to go back and look at it. I don't know if something happened or if I just lost it there, but it didn't quite feel right. We were six-tenths off of what we ran in practice. I'm just glad to be alright."

Full story from FOX News

blog comments powered by Disqus